To Change the View on 13 Reasons Why (World Suicide Prevention Day 2018)
For those who remember the huge fad a couple of months ago, there was a show on Netflix called 13 Reasons Why. From the summary from IMBD, 13 Reasons Why is about a boy named Clay who receives a box with a cassette tape in it. The tape is from a high schooler named Hannah Baker, who gives 13 reasons why she committed suicide.
(Source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837492/plotsummary)
Of course, with a type of media that has such sensitive content, there is so much backlash. With my own research, if you type in "13 reasons why copycat deaths" into Google, there are so many news articles about people taking their lives in a similar way to the show. It is absolutely heartbreaking.
To change the view on this, I offer you my 13 reasons why I have stayed and have kept going:
1) Marriage and the sanctity of it. Nothing can compare to it, and I am so thankful to experience it.
2) Experiencing a brand new city with the one I love. It was such a change, but it is so exciting!
3) Seeing my favourite band, For King and Country! Twice!! And meeting one of the lead singers was amazing!
4) Finding a job with the goal of helping people from an educational perspective is what you've always wanted. And you've got it, Beck!
5) A decade of Marvel movies, and your favourite character, Loki, appears in 5 of them! Slight geek over here!
6) Nami the Leopard Gecko need at least 5 crickets a day, and someone to change her water too. She is seriously the coolest pet ever!
7) Seeing your friends marry the ones they love is so crazy beautiful, and it is such a testament to God's faithfulness.
8) Being able to survive through the death of my grandmother and say that she is Home with her Heavenly Father. Death changes your perspective.
9) Andrew and I attending Heidelberg, a thriving and growing church with believers that are practically one huge family. I am so excited to see what the Lord has in store for the church.
10) Experiencing a Star Wars movie in theatres. The hype from that is amazing!
11) Seeing 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 come to fruition in my life as I have overcome my struggle with self harm.
12) Being here when others haven't made it. I think of my Uncle Cary, the damage that was made in my family with his passing, and the hope of seeing him again. I know that he and my Nana has been reunited, and am excited for the Day of the Lord, when we are all reunited again.
And 13) Being able to be a positive light to others and letting them know that life, and every life, is WORTH IT!
There are also honourable mentions to this list, once I started creating it. I know that for some people, it is much harder to try and even think of one thing. I have been there. There is a darkness before the dawn. You are worth it!
#TomorrowNeedsYou





I just discovered your blog! This is great and so needed! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to enjoying everything else you have written :)
ReplyDelete